Matt Cutts is a Software Engineer who heads the web spam team at Google. Matt has been using WordPress for years and feels WordPress makes search engine optimization easier and easier with each update. On todayâ€™s show he highlights the fundamental principles of success for blogging with WordPress. And addresses questions like:
- How do I get started?
- What tools do I need?
- Why choose WordPress?
- Which WordPress plugins do I need?
- Do meta tags matter?
- How do I know what content readers want?
- How do I generate unique content – the way Google wants it?
- What about duplicate content?
- Have I been banned or penalized? Why haven’t I been indexed?
- Do 301 (permanent) redirects “lose” any page rank?
Joost and Frederick discussed Google’s Webmaster Tools with this weeks guest John Mueller from Google. All the sections of Google Webmaster Tools were discussed, and their different uses for bloggers, from the new search queries and ranking overview to sitelinks, crawl errors, XML Sitemaps and the recently updated Google News Sitemaps (there’s actually a WordPress plugin for those).
In the plugin picks, at the tail end of the show, Frederick picked IntenseDebate, a very cool comment system by Automattic. Joost picked clean notifications, a plugin to clean up the comment and ping / trackback notification emails.